North East Subaru Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
NESF- the award winning and largest club stand for the 3rd year running @ NBO- well done everyone that attended.
Latest topics
» My classic
Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 11 Jan - 11:21 by keffer

» R.I.P Gipa
Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptyMon 9 Dec - 18:34 by maca

» Blobeye wrx
Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 29 Apr - 22:21 by Mat1985

» Forum has gone down hill
Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Mar - 8:12 by wrx/uk/ppp

» I'm back...
Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptyTue 31 Jan - 21:44 by ConnorJ

» How many people are currently coming on here?
Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 21 Jan - 15:04 by phil555

» Best place for mot
Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:30 by maca

» another new/old member
Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptyFri 13 Jan - 15:23 by maca

» Pink injectors
Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySun 16 Oct - 23:01 by EJ22 GAV

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
BBC News

Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now

Go down 
+3
byers
maca
Mikeblobsti
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now Empty
PostSubject: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 9:44

Been meaning to do this for a while, car has been through a few changes in my ownership, I've got loads of pics, most of my Saturday off is going to be spent doing this.....might take a while though so bear with me lol
Landrover defenders used to be my thing.....built one from the ground up to a offroad monster.....but always wanted a impreza!  I have learnt a lot about subaru's and still learning and so everything that has been done to this car I have done myself.....apart from the remap obviously lol!

To start, how I bought the car in April 2011.  55 plate widetrack wrx sti non PPP so 265 hp....took me about 6 months to find this one, I had to have a widetrack blob and it had to be in black with no mods and low mileage, finding a good black widetrack blob is rare and frustrating lol.....had looked at 2 before this but they didn't fit my fussy requirements lol!  This one was perfect and untouched apart from the horrible headlights, 40,000 genuine miles, hpi clear, 1 owner, 2 keys, FSH, no dents or scratches and plenty of potential Very Happy got it for a good price too as the engine light was on.....unknown to the dealer I had brought a reader along and the light was on due to the alternator not sending the charging signal back to the ECU....easy fix Cool more info about that later!  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]

Back home and both my toys together

More to follow later!

Last edited by Mikeblobsti on Sat 25 Jan - 11:01; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
maca

maca

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 10:14

Cool start to a project thread!

Love the wheels on the defender, looks aggressive as!

I didn't bother taking step by step, parts coming off parts going on photo's when modding mine, wish I had (more photo's the better!)

Look forward to the rest of the thread
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 10:34

Cheers mate, defender had to look aggressive as I put a 4.5 V8 under the bonnet with a straight through exhaust, couldn't have it sounding mean as fook and looking pants lol!

Taking me a while to put all the pics on photobucket Razz

Last edited by Mikeblobsti on Sat 25 Jan - 10:39; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 10:38

maca wrote:
Cool 
I didn't bother taking step by step, parts coming off parts going on photo's when modding mine, wish I had

I do right down to bulb changes hehehehe Wink
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 10:46

Forgot to mention that the car had a part prodrive package fitted from new that was available to them at the time apparently.
Prodrive 18" PFF7 114.3 PCD wheels
Prodrive upper and lower grills in stainless steel
Back to top Go down
byers

byers

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 11:05

U need alcatek mate awesome
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 11:27

First job was to remove those horrible headlights and put standard ones back in, I won some on flea bay for £70 and after doing some research on google (as I wasn't a member of nesf at this point) I found out how to detango the headlights by putting them in the oven....can't find pics of this sorry!
Second job was to remove the lower grill as it just didn't look right for me!  While I was there I fitted a v-ltd style front splitter from scoobyparts.....only lasted 6 month before I snapped it!

Put my old horrible headlights on fleabay and got £240 for them.......they must be mad lol!

At this point I also became a member of SIDC - at the time known as Subaru impreza drivers club - now changed to Subaru international drivers club!  Not very popular around north east but very popular in most other parts of uk

Standard detangoed headlights and splitter fitted, lower grill removed

Old headlights ready for flea bay!
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][/url]

SIDC sticker!
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 11:31

byers wrote:
U need alcatek mate awesome

Looking into it mate Cool only thing I'm worried about from my research is that anti lag may half the life of the turbo?
Back to top Go down
byers

byers

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 11:41

So ?? Jonny can build them up for cheap lol
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 11:52

Hahaha true, good reason to upgrade too Cool
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 12:23

Next was to let the Scooby rumble out....the whole point of buying one of these cars for me Very Happy the standard sti system is crap....unless you don't like any noise whatsoever!!
Won a 3 part prodrive 2.5" system on flea bay that goes from the down pipe back for £140, changing to this system removes the second cat on sti's or the third cat on wrx's and also has a better looking and better sounding back box.  Think I only had this system on for about 4 months before I decided to stop messing about with a little noise!
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 12:50

Lowering next, spent some time looking into lowering springs and almost went for some but after being in a mates car with some on I decided it wasn't for me, yes it sits lower but the movement in the shock doesn't change, in theory if you go lower you also want a stiffer shock so the wheels don't hit the top of the arch liner....he maybe got the wrong stiffness of spring but I wanted to be able to adjust my setup anyway after that point!
HSD HR coilovers.....for me they are crap and will not have them again!  More info below.
Done it in about 4 hours, 1 corner at a time using car jack.....easy lol!

Fitting fronts.

For the rears the rear seats need to be removed to gain access to the top of the struts!

Sitting low now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
maca

maca

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 14:48

Mikeblobsti wrote:
Cheers mate, defender had to look aggressive as I put a 4.5 V8 under the bonnet with a straight through exhaust, couldn't have it sounding mean as fook and looking pants lol!

Class! Bet that's got a nice rumble to it!
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 15:29

Hi mike was it Johns car that had the hsd. Remember them driving you mad too.
What happened to that lower grill btw
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 16:54

SG03RRZ wrote:
Hi mike was it Johns car that had the hsd. Remember them driving you mad too.
What happened to that lower grill btw

Nah it was just me that had them mate, they caused all sorts of problems....will never go back....crap!
Still have the grill in the garage, I still have all the original parts I have removed from the car.....everything lol!! Will maybe sell them one day.
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 16:55

If you gonna sell that grill DIBS ok lol
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 16:59

maca wrote:
Mikeblobsti wrote:

Class! Bet that's got a nice rumble to it!

It does mate, can't beat the sound of a v8 Razz check out my vids on YouTube [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 17:00

SG03RRZ wrote:

Haha ok mate, not a nice look IMO tho!
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 17:24

Going to continue with this later
Back to top Go down
SG03RRZ

SG03RRZ

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 17:36

Mikeblobsti wrote:
SG03RRZ wrote:

Haha ok mate, not a nice look IMO tho!

Was thinking get locky to colour code it to the car
Back to top Go down
keffer

keffer

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 20:28

great project buddy  Cool 
keep it coming  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 23:08

Remember how I mentioned the engine light was on due to the alternator not sending the charging signal back to the ECU, well I had this checked out and it was decided that the alternator was at fault! Got a new one fitted and did an ECU reset to try and clear it.....this however did not work, it turned out that the ECU needed a tweek by a mapper.....apparently not an uncommon problem on late blobs. Andy Forrest helped me out with this one on mapping day!
Back to top Go down
andyden71

andyden71

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 23:23

Great post mate
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 23:24

While chatting with Andy Forrest (via email....the best way to get him!) I looked at upgrading the power, decided I was going to go with his level 2 remap (around 330 hp) and started collecting and fitting parts for it.
I had booked remap about 2 months in advance so I had plenty time to get it all done!

I needed....
Walbro 255 fuel pump
PFR7B spark plugs
High flow induction kit
Full decat exhaust
Nice and easy on a sti Cool

Bought the very loud and expensive blitz nur spec r system for starters and fitted it straight away Cool
Back to top Go down
Mikeblobsti

Mikeblobsti

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now EmptySat 25 Jan - 23:54

Mapping day was just a few days away now so it was time to put all of my other parts on ready

Decat downpipe, pain in arse to remove the catted downpipe from the turbo, nuts were very tight and heat shields around everything didn't allow great access. Managed in the end tho and think I got away with only a few scrapes on my hands and arms lol! Wanted to put the turbo heat shield back on but it didn't fit around the new 3" milltek decat pipe, abit of cutting was required to make it fit. Very loud when catted pipe was removed.....I did make a point of starting it with nothing on the back of the turbo too......and fook me lol Cool

Decat downpipe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now   Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now Empty

Back to top Go down

Mikeblobsti's project, April 2011 till now
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next